Friday, November 18, 2011

The Native Cafe and my award!


Hi friends,

I know it seems like I've been away from blogging for a while, and I apologize. Work has been so busy, and, by the time I get home, I am just beat. It's the good kind of busy though....I absolutely love my job!!

The Native Cafe, a fabulous vegan restaurant, recently opened nearby. After looking over their menu, I knew this place was the perfect opportunity to challenge myself with some delicious, natural food. Danny and I went the other night, and we both LOVED everything about the experience, especially the scrumptious food! What I loved most of all was sitting down with Danny and eating a meal together. It's not often that we do that, and I couldn't have done it without him. I had my moments of anxiety, but, really, the food was so pure and delicious that I couldn't even hear ED's voice. My heart knew that the food was good and good for me.

We started by sharing some sweet potato fries, which was a huge leap of faith for me because they were actually FRIED IN OIL! I didn't have a lot, but I was glad I had some.
I had the Sesame Kale Tempeh Bowl. It had sauce on it. I ate the sauce. I usually fear sauce. I reminded myself that it was good for me....again and again. The entire bowl was amazing!
My husband had a Reuben Sandwich, and he said that he wouldn't have been able to tell that it was vegan. He LOVED it!



After the restaurant, we took a walk through the park. He knew that the feeling in my stomach was troublesome for me, so we held hands, picked up pretty leaves, and talked about how to take on challenges like this more often. The next day, I felt surprisingly okay. The food had digested, and I was okay. The rest the week, I haven't been taking on many challenges, but I think Danny will help me with that this weekend. It's much easier to take on challenges when I'm not alone.

One more thing.....

I need to thank Blue Eyed Barbie for nominating me for the "Tell Me About Yourself Award". I am so touched that she thought of me and my blog! I wish I knew how to put the cool button on here to show you!!

The rules of this nomination are:
To tell seven random things about myself as well as pass on the award to seven other great bloggers.
Nominees, in order to accept this award you must:
-Thank and link back to the person who awarded you.
-Write seven random things about yourself.
-Award seven other awesome and inspiring bloggers.

Hmmmm....let's see:

1. I live in Portland, Oregon, and I love it here. The seasons are beautiful, and there's plenty of cold weather months so that I can layer with pretty sweaters, coats, and scarves.

2. My husband, Danny, and I didn't have a wedding. We took our moms to the courthouse, got married in front of a Justice of the Peace, and went out to dinner! It was perfect for us.

3. I work in a clinic for sleep medicine. It's pretty awesome!

4. I have a HUGE scar along my side and back from a scoliosis surgery I had when I was 14.

5. My favorite author is Emily Giffin. I want to be a character in one of her books!!

6. Someday, I want to live in New York City. It's always been a dream of mine, and I hope it can be possible someday.

7. My favorite movie is 'Almost Famous'. It makes me feel things.

And now...I nominate some of my favorite bloggies!! (Sorry..I haven't been able to think of 7 yet who haven't already received to award!)





Thank you, everyone!!!

Love,

Emily


7 comments:

  1. A massive well done for the meal. I ate out for the first time in a long time the other day. I managed a soup but being veggie and love of vegan and raw food means I also feel brave when it's a gorgeous goodness of delish food infront of me.

    Well done. You did brilliantly and it will get easier and easier. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you for challenging yourself! your husband seems amazing. So understanding and sweet. How long have you been married? Any reason you decided on not having a wedding?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danny IS amazing...so patient and loving. It goes both ways because I know he needs me as much as I need him. It's a big recovery motivator for me. We've been married three years. When we decided to get married, we thought a lot about having a wedding and decided that it just wasn't for us. With all of the wedding hassle, expenses, and family dynamics (our loser dads especially), a formal wedding just didn't represent us. We just wanted to be married. The day we got married was awesome...simple and uncomplicated. The weird thing is that I love weddings, but I just didn't want my own. Thank you for asking!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. soooooooo proud of you!!! it's these moments that you are able to see the strength you have and use that to show the ed that YOU are in charge and you are reclaiming your life back ; )

    ps- i have wanted to live in new york city since i was a little girl. in an apartment in manhattan. lol. every year for summer vacation when we would decide where we should go that summer i ALWAYS said new york city! and did we ever go...? nope! maybe someday though ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so lovely to read your post (and lovely isn't a word I even use!) Hearing of your success, as well as your support and management post meal is awesome. And once you've gotten past this challenge, you'll have your own experience to help reassure you that you are capable, that you've done this before, and that bad things didn't happen. It gets much easier.

    And I loved reading the facts about you! I grew up in Brooklyn and was pleased to move away from the city. Yet when I revisit, like this weekend, I'm reminded of how fantastic a place it is.

    Congrats on your accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. miss you! hope you are doing okay ;)

    ReplyDelete