Sunday, October 16, 2011

Thinspiration on pinterest?

I, like just about everyone else, have spent many hours ogling at the cute ideas and pictures on Pinterest. Lately, however, I've come across a lot of images that can only be described as "thinspiration". At first, I shrugged it off, but I've been seeing it more and more:

Pinned Image
Such as this...
Pinned Image
this...
Pinned Image
and this.

When I saw these images, my blood heated up in a way that I hadn't felt since I came across pro-anorexia blogs. I guess I just don't understand it. As I have been malnourished and too thin throughout my ED, it was never something that I wanted to promote to other people. Even though I may have been secretly proud on the inside, I have never wanted to promote this lifestyle or thinness to anyone else as an ideal way of being. I fight everyday to accept that thin isn't the only way to be. Why are people out there trying to promote the idea that these images are the ideal?

Honestly, this images still affect me. They secretly make me want to hold on to my ED. It infuriates me!

Pinterest, thank you for the 3-ingredient Butterfinger recipe. My husband loved them. Still, we have to part ways as this just is not a healthy relationship anymore.


Fondly,

Emily



2 comments:

  1. I agree - I love pintrest, and love all the recovery quotes I find on there, but HATE coming across the large amounts of thinspro on there. It is scary how easy it is to come across and it is as detrimental to recovery as it is to people/women/men at the depths of an ED and is effective at keeping them there. It needs to end, it really does.

    http://dream-recover-live.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I love Pinterest but not these kind of pictures! Being too thin is NOT healthy!!

    ReplyDelete